Saturday, March 10, 2018

Rainbow Challenge and Star Strings



March Greens have really changed the dynamic of the blocks above; with small circles forming as the blocks are butted up to each other.  The pattern is not mine, however if I ever locate this block in print (I'm sure I have seen it before); I will give the designer or magazine credit.  It has been a lot of fun going through my old magazines looking for this block (an excuse to relax and browse the old fashion way) ....  all I can remember is that it was vintage.


And...since we are on the subject of Rainbow quilts, the string quilt was born from newspaper foundations  made with a 60 degree ruler - the foundation unit was 6 1/2" tall.  Made for a class demonstration on 60 degree rulers, I have always wanted to go back and make a much larger variation of this quilt.  Oh well, one day.  (No pattern, the quilt was achieved by using the design wall and a lot of twisting and turning).




Linking with:  2018 Rainbow Scrap Challenge/So Scrappy/Scrap Happy

grab button for SoScrappy

17 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Great blocks, I love this secondary pattern, circles with squares! Vintage, but still modern! Love the string quilt too

Ivani said...

Yeah you are right the circular pattern shows well with all the blocks together. Love your rainbow quilt.

scraphappy said...

What a pretty star quilt. The design wall is one of the best tools for quilters.

maggie fellow said...

great projects - really impressed with string star

Kathy S. said...

String Stars came out wonderfully!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Really really wonderful string star -- pattern or not -- it is grand!!

Katie said...

Fun blocks and I love the secondary design. But I really love your string quilt. I'm not usually a fan of them, but your layout and non-square shape is great!

Kat Scribner said...

The string quilt is beautiful. Love the design and layout.

Angie said...

It's fun to watch what happens with your "vintage" blocks - they are going to make a wonderful quilt! The rainbow string quilt is gorgeous!

Cathy said...

That vintage pattern is so cool. I particularly love secondary patterns that emerge. And your string star quilt is beyond beautiful!!!

gayle said...

Your vintage block is really interesting! I love blocks that look simple until you start putting bunches of them together, and then suddenly they go all wowzers!
And that stringy rainbow star is absolutely gorgeous!

The Joyful Quilter said...

What fun! A secondary pattern is emerging. Thanks for sharing your lovely rainbow finish, too!!

grammajudyb said...

Wow, Star Strings is awesome. I now have another project for the 60 degree ruler I purchased! I have strings - strings- strings~

Kathy's A Quilter said...

Hey Scrappy Sister, these are fantastic! Looks like you are having a good week in the studio. I have been eyeing up your sidebar posting of your patterns and especially love the Summer Wedding. Have a great week and talk soon...Kathy

Linda said...

Your blocks are coming together beautifully. I agree, the addition of green blocks is perfect. Love the secondary circle design. The Big String star is super.

Sally Trude said...

I love your soft smoky hues. And it is so much fun to watch the addition of new colors each month.

Katie Z. said...

Lovely!