Saturday, January 19, 2019

Rainbow challenge, Red Hexagons


It's a RED month -- my favorite color.  For a few years now, I have been drooling over a Rainbow Hexie Quilt found on Pinterest, designed and made by Kathy at Kelly Girl Quilts.  I contacted Kathy  for permission to use her design and she was gracious enough to also give me a few helpful hints.

Kathy used a 7/8" template from Moxyideas and cut each hexie by hand -- great patience. I had already used a Michael's coupon to purchase a 1" die punch and  started collecting magazine ads (you know, those postcard ads that fall out of our magazines).  It's probably been a couple of years of punching here and there...so I have a box full of templates ... now I have an awesome project.

Not sure if you can see in the picture...I also punch a little hole in the center to make it easy to "pop out" the templates later.

Special thanks to Angie at So Scrappy for hosting the annual Rainbow Challenge each year.  Quilt designers use many different methods to form their ideas; I use the design wall.  I accumulate blocks for my B'Box (Box of Blocks) and play with them on the wall - the Rainbow Challenge is one of the ways to fill up a quilter's B'Box!

5 comments:

LA Paylor said...

Hi Jamie, I am intrigued by the die cutter. Does it work well on paper? if so, brilliant idea! I love hexies, love love love

The Joyful Quilter said...

I looked at those dye cutters at JoAnn Fabrics. At the time, I determined that I didn't need one. Maybe it's time to re-think that. Your small hexies are SEW sweet in RED for the RSC!!

Jo said...

I even use that die cutter on the shiny postcard mailers that come in the mail....especially before elections. But i have done hexagons with inklingo and its much faster....no basting.

Ellen said...

Cute little red hexies. :)

JJ said...

Love your hexies and red is a very good color for this time of year. I have some red mug rugs on my blog.