Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Scrap Control Update - with instructions


First, I made my own template to make the kaleidoscope blocks.  There are  many 45 degree rulers available (which I have ordered for future), but while waiting, I made mine for strips 5 1/2" tall.  As you can see below, I taped it to the back of my ruler for easy rotary cutting.  I also made smaller blocks using 3 1/2" strips -- link to the completed blocks.


Make a strip set from (2) 2 1/2" X 23" strips and (1) 1 1/2" X 23" strip.  The 1 1/2" strip is in the middle.  Press all seams up in one direction (important).  Now lets start cutting with the template:


The ruler starts upside down.  Cut off the left side and discard  - I donate mine to a group who loves to make "Mile a Minute" blocks.


Flip the ruler and cut your first 45 degree triangle, then keep flipping across until you have eight -- see below.  Notice!!! The top tip is cut off to avoid bulk.



Flip every other triangle and sew them in pairs as above -- I'm showing the back as it is important to finger press to the right.  Also, by pressing the strip set in one direction before you start cutting, they will snuggle nicely when you flip every other triangle. 


Then sew two pairs together as above (four in each half)


Last seam is sewing the two halves together and spinning the center.  I press from the back in one direction all around, which naturally spins.


Corner Units --- I love black and white with brights, so I pulled out this black with tiny white dots and a white on white large dot, for the corners.  Each block requires (2) 4" squares cut diagonally.    They are cut slightly oversized.  I will be alternating the blocks with black dots and the other white.


 Sew them to each corner as pictured above and press outward.


Above is a sample of each after they were trimmed down to 10 1/2" square.


Here they are the samples added to the wall (bottom right) -- over the next couple of weeks, I hope to have more blocks done with their corners added.  

I follow along with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict, who helps us stay accountable to the growing scrap bins. Check with her often for more ideas on how she tames her stash. 



4 comments:

lbcookie1@gmail.com said...

Thank you, Jamie. Very clear instructions as usual. Can't wait to get my strips together.
Cookie in Mandeville

Vicki in MN said...

Very cute, thanks for the instructions! I am going to pin for the future!

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, Jamie, you can't imagine how much I love this quilt!!! Now I'm looking at my scraps to see what I can use for this...

Susan said...

Oh, my gosh! That is so EASY! I wouldn't have imagined it would be that easy. Making the template will be the hardest part. LOL Thank you so much for sharing how you did it. This has to go on my list.