Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Progress on Key Lime Pie Blocks

The units for the above blocks are done -- at 18" each, they don't take long to fill up space on the design wall.  I am busy piecing baby quilts, so these blocks are my "Leaders and Enders".  I really like the colors and using up those 3 1/2" squares (I started with over 100) feels like I am accomplishing something.

If you are interested in joining Judy at Patchwork Times --  she has challenged us to use up scraps from blocks she will choose each month.  February's block is Key Lime Pie.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Monday Design Wall - Key Lime Pie

After studying my scraps and trying to decide if I had sewn units for Judy's February Scrap Challenge (Key Lime Pie), I came across a box of 3 1/2" aqua/turquoise blue squares -- over 100 of them!  Most of them were cut from the left overs from a Bonnie Hunter mystery I did a couple of years ago (Orca Bay).  I started sewing a few four patches, then added rust/gold star points and decided I like the combination.  Not sure how many blocks I will end up with, but I do like the idea of using up those squares. My blocks will end up being 18".

My Gammill is fixed .... I am so proud of myself for taking apart the tension, replacing the thread guide spring and putting her back together.  To be honest, my husband helped -- I had never used a hex key wrench.  I finished Bonnie Hunter's Mystery Saturday night and taking my time on the binding.

Monday Design Wall Link Up over at Patchwork Times is about to end, so I better hurry!  Good night.

Friday, February 7, 2014

Silsbee Tigers

These young men look like they are ready to play some ball!  The Quilt was donated to the team for their banquet and fund raiser.  My Great-nephew, Trevis, is kneeling on the left end.  The first picture I received was blurry, so I am so happy this one came in time for Friday Finishes.

Although I have made this pattern several times, I have been taking pictures to post the pattern and instructions.  Believe it or not .... we have 9-patches, rail fences, squares and HSTs .... all easy blocks. The hardest thing for me was the Tiger in the center.

The part to my long arm came in today, so I will be happy tomorrow if all comes together.  I want to have a good night sleep before tackling the repair.  If all goes well, I hope to have 2 deadline quilts done by Sunday night. If not .... well, let's not go there.

Linking with Sarah and Confessions of a Fabric Addict tonight .... poor Sarah -- her Jolene is waiting for a part too.  I know EXACTLY how she feels - lost.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Celtic Mystery

Sunday morning, the Celtic Mystery was loaded on the Quilting Frame.  I loaded a few bobbins and with determination to finish by afternoon I started.  On row two, the top thread broke and tangled so badly the "thread check" on the tension knob disappeared.  I could have cried.  

Hopefully, the part will be here in a couple of days and HOPEFULLY I will be able to change it.  I have found great instructions on line and a You Tube video.  Bonnie has her link up until February 8th, so that gives me a few days ... fingers crossed.

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Pink Rails

A simple 9-Patch rail is the start of the Pink Month for the 2014 Rainbow Challenge hosted by SoScrappy.  I have a ton of pink scraps -- enough to work on for 2 months.  I make at least one pink quilt a year for Breast Cancer Awareness, so my pink scraps could be housed in a trunk instead of a plastic container like the other colors.  

I really need to get back to quilting the 2013 Rainbow tops I have ready.....actually, there are 4 left.  I have a notebook full of new quilting designs and want to practice on these tops.  So now...back to thinking PINK!