Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wish Comes True -- Gammill Style!

Last week, a new addition arrived in my home -- A Gammill Vision 18-8! The perfect size for me. Mark with Stitch N Frame, drove several hours to make the delivery and teach the basics in a well-organized 5 hour in-home class on Friday. By Saturday morning, the demo fabric Mark left behind for the class was full of practice stitches . By Saturday afternoon, I had loaded my first quilt top below -- made long ago from scraps.

Don't look too close -- using free motion, I went to town with one of my stand-by patterns from the "home machine" days. I tried the rolled patterns furnished with the machine on the practice fabric, however I prefer free motion. If I stay with free motion, I hope to get much better. My sister Phyllis prefers the rolled patterns and laser light.

#1 all done -- just need to do the hand work on the binding.

#2 is here on the machine -- feathered borders and all! I will show you the top later after the binding has been added. Next in line -- the 2012 Relay for Life Quilt due next week. I can't wait.


16 comments:

Angie said...

What a wonderful dream come true! Can't wait to see all your quilting - it's gong to be a fun journey for you!

Loves to Quilt said...

Congratulations! I agree, keep going free style. It is hard to break away from rolled patterns!

Dora, the Quilter said...

Congratulations!
I can't wait to see your quilting!

Kate said...

Congrats on the new toy!

fancystitching said...

How exciting! You will LOVE your new Gammill. Paper pantos do take quite a bit of practice to get them smooth. You do such wonderful freehand, why bother? I can't believe you are doing FEATHERS already on quilt #2!! Way to go!

Vicki H. said...

Free hand quilting is the only way to go and you will love the artistic expression you have with it!! Love your quilts pictured!!!

One Minnesota Quilter said...

I can tell from quilt #2 that you are going to take to this like a duck to water!

There is room for all styles of quilting, both panto and freehand in the quilt world and personally I think it is good to be skilled in doing both. But, definitely, work on the skills you are best at.

Have fun with you new endeavor!

Judy

Linda said...

How awesome! Congrats! There's no stopping you now. I am so jealous as I struggle with my RRCB on my DSM.

Kerstin said...

wow, indeed a dream come true.
wonderful quilts and beautiful quilting.

krisgray said...

Congrats! Your quilts look great! And you were fast on your DSM, now you're gonna be smokin'! Have fun!

connie in louisiana said...

Good for you!! How exciting. Your free motion quilting looks great. Can't wait to see more of your quilts.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

Lucky, lucky you. It all looks good so far. Have fun.

Quiltsmiles said...

What a beauty she is. Congratulations and continue to dream, it's just the tip of the iceberg. lol
Jane

Megan said...

Woohoo! So exciting! You're already such an excellent quilter. I'm excited to see where the Gammill takes you next on your quilting journey!

jeri said...

You are going to love , love, love it! I have had mine a little over a year and I can say that from experience. It looks like you are already doing awesome quilting with it. Enjoy!

Mary said...

Oh, I'm green with envy here. Your quilting is great. I need a LOT more practice on my Mid-arm. Love the many colors of the pinwheel quilt. I liked the Purple one when you made it last year.