Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Design Wall - January Color Challenge

A couple of months ago, we redid our master bathroom shower. We now have fresh painted walls -- NO MORE WALL PAPER!!! I have yet to hang anything, not wishing to have holes in the wall. Judy at Patchwork Times and Vicki at Field Trips in Fiber have teamed up for a 2012 Color Palette Challenge. I am working on a small little artsy quilt for one of the master bath walls. The blocks will finish at 4 1/2". Although the lighting in my room is a little off, every color in the palette has been used, plus one light neutral. I am undecided on a border -- so time will tell.


Most of us can label our quilting style by now. I am a piecer -- I love cutting fabric up into pieces and sewing them back together. Not "thrilled" with paper-piecing, not "good" with applique'. Let me clarify -- my fingers are not good with hand applique' -- practice does not always make perfect -- it makes sore joints. I have also tried iron-on applique', but not happy with the stiffness.

Recently I decided to try a simple "Starch Applique", which was graciously shared by Natalia Bonner at Piece N Quilt. Let me just say, this girl has it going!!! Natalie is a young mother and wife, a long-arm quilter, pattern designer etc, etc, etc! I love her method of using starch. It washes out, making the quilt so snugly and soft.

I have been enjoying a three-day weekend, which is almost over. DH and DS are hunting -- ahhh quiet -- so I am heading back to sewing, but first I need to check out other design walls at Patchwork Times.

7 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's fabulous!

Quilter Kathy said...

What a cool idea...very creative!

Pat said...

Thanks for the head's up about Starch Applique. It's the next technique I'm going to try.

Michele said...

Very nice :-)

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

very unique, love all the shades you have used.

Sarah Craig said...

How pretty! And what an interesting way to decorate your bathroom!!

Anonymous said...

You have such wonderful quilts here, I love your blog.
I'll be back to see more
Have a great weekend.