Saturday, July 16, 2011

Alexis' Quilt

A few weeks ago, I shared a quilt top made by my five year old niece with help from her grandmother (Phyllis). Today, I have been quilting the top -- not much else to do with all the rain.

Alexis sat on my lap and placed her hands on top of my gloved hands to help me quilt -- Worked for a little while, however she is five and found other things to do.

The back of the quilt has the cutest fabric with the number "five" as a theme. Phyllis had the idea that Alexis will always remember when she made this quilt -- perfect choice.


A preview of this week -- more quilting. Phyllis brought three child size quilts, the one above and two more. They are so cute, so I can't wait to start the other two.

I have also started a post all about Backings coming soon. Thanks to my friend Cookie, she gave me the inspiration to talk about how I choose backing fabric. Are you "matchy-matchy", "scrappy", or "close-enough". Do you buy ahead, do you only buy when needed? Most of us are a combination of each -- so stay tuned for "Back to Back" .

Next, I am patiently waiting for the rain to let up so I can take pictures of my Orange Monochromatic Quilt for Judy's challenge at Patchwork Times. It's HUGE! Like ... Queen Size! My favorite monochromatic so far.

Now it is time to hurry over to Sarah's so I can link up to the ''Whoop" end of the week report at "Confessions of a Fabric Addict". I have already visited a few others and see the H2H Challenge is coming together. So glad mine is done and off to Green Fairy's.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Alexia quilt is very bright and pretty. I love the backing fabric. I look forward to hearing about how you pick the backing fabric. I alway wonder what other people choose.

Sarah Craig said...

I love Alexis's quilt!! So bright and cheerful! And the backing is perfect.....

In answer to your question about backing, I love to piece backings using leftovers from the front, but don't always have time. If I'm in a big hurry I hope I've got a big enough piece to put together a whole fabric back, or may put together two or three large pieces.