Friday, May 27, 2011

Finish - Stars Over Scott




Free  detail "Stars Over Scott" pattern available here.

A scrappy 76" x 86" quilt using 168 - 6 1/2" squares (84 Light, 84 Med-Dark); 3/4 yard for the inside border, 2 1/2 yards for outside border (if cutting length of fabric) or 1 3/4 yard (if cutting width of fabric), 3/4 yard for binding and 5 1/2 yards for backing.



Closeup of the quilting.






Making the block:

Using 6 1/2" squares of one each light and med-dark, place right sides together, draw a line diagonally down the center, sewing 1/4" on each side of the line. Cut diagonally in half (as shown) along the drawn line. Open and press the half square triangles, trim to a perfect 5 1/2" square. Using the layout below, sew 12 blocks across, with 14 rows down.





Borders:
Inside: Sew together 7 - 2 1/2" strips diagonally and cut 2 - 70 1/2" strips for the sides, 2 - 64 1/2" strips for the top and bottom.

Outside: Cutting from the Length of fabric, cut 2 - 6 1/2" x 74 1/2" strips for the sides, 2 - 6 1/2" x 76 1/2" for the top and bottom.

Binding: 9 - 2 1/2" strips, joined diagonally.

That's it -- one block, quick and easy.

Now, I am heading over to Sarah's to link up to her Whoop Friday at Confessions for a Fabric Addict.

20 comments:

Gail said...

I love this quilt but have a question. In the 3rd photo where does the tan colored square with the small red piece attached go to in the quilt.

Pat said...

Another great finish! It hardly looks like the orange example below. Yours is so much more interesting. Love it!

Anonymous said...

LOVE the quilt! That is amazing. Whoop whoop!

Cathy said...

What a great quilt! I've been saving 6 1/2 inch squares and strips, thinking of Yellow Brick Roads quilts. But this one just went to the top of the to-do list for them.

Diane E W said...

You have given me inspiration! I told a friend, who recently lost his father, that I would make him a quilt using his father's shirts. I have been looking for a pattern that would represent his father and him and his 3 siblings. Viola, your pattern! Thank you. Might try and piece smaller stars in the border for grand and great grandchildren. Oh and Whoop whoop to your finish, love your quilt, obviously.

pcflamingo said...

Love this pattern! I already have a shoebox full of fabrics I'm going to use to make this. Can't wait to get started!

Sue Daurio said...

definitely one of my favorites!! I love this one.

Karen said...

Great Job! I love the quilt.

krisgray said...

Lovely! and all with HSTs!

Sarah Craig said...

Love it love it love it!!! What a great quilt! It's definitely going on the bucket list!! Whoop whoop!!

QuiltSue said...

What a lovely quilt. If Scott doesn't like it, send it to me!

Me and My Stitches said...

I love your quilt - what a great pattern and scrappy is always my favorite.

AnnieO said...

Nice big squares you started with! I like how fast a quilt grows when you start with larger blocks. Love the scrappiness and stars.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Jamie, such a nice quilt. I'm sure Scott will love it. Great job!

KatieQ said...

Great quilt! I love the way the light bands radiate out from the center star leading your eyes to the corner stars.

Kristen said...

Nicely done! Great seamless combination of two blocks with scrappy lights and darks!!

Brita said...

Great quilt, love the fabrics you chose! And thanks for the tutorial.

Unknown said...

How many yards would the 168 6 1/2" squares be?

Susan said...

What a lovely quilt and so scrap-happy! Thanks!

Susan said...

Another great scrappy winner. Thanks for the example.