Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Quilt #8 Finished
Above is the 8th quilt finished in 2010. Using 1 1/2" strips left over from the quilt made for DS 2009 Christmas, I played with simple piecing/blocks on the design wall; added little borders; then cut the 6 1/2" navy star fabric for the border. After sewing together the border strips (joined diagonally), I used the navy triangles leftover to give the top depth. I will save binding handwork for lunch hours. Finished at 70 x 70.
Here is a close up of my "doodling" using my Janome 6500.
This is the quilt I made DS for Christmas 2009. Each block started with a 2 1/2" center, surrounded by 1 1/2" strips. I had a large collection of reproduction fabric and other fat quarters just right for a bachelor's pad. When I finished this 68" x 86" top, there were PLENTY of 1 1/2" strips left over -- used to make Quilt #8.
One of my visitors recently asked about my approach in making a quilt. I also read the comments on Judy Laquidara's blog (www.patchworktimes.com), where several posts discuss their methodology of starting a quilt. If I find a pattern that I love, I tend to make several. One year I made 11 BQ quilts.....6 of them with LSU colors and tiger prints for my boss, 4 nephews and a friend. I can't even count the number of "Short Stack" quilts made in different colors. This pattern makes the perfect twin bedspreads, baby quilts and themed quilts -- and reduces the stash in record speed. I also enjoy mystery quilts. But..my favorite tops are those that just evolve on the design wall.
I have recently purchased EQ6 to make patterns from some of those quilts that just "happen". I have made it through Lesson 1, but honestly find it more fun to play with the real fabric and rulers than write patterns. Thank goodness there are very talented quilters who can transfer their ideas to paper and are very successful. I will definately "applaud" them and "plug" them every chance I get.