Saturday, January 23, 2010

Quilting Methods




I did not realize just how much I don't like stitching in the ditch. For the last few years, I have enjoyed the freedom of "doodling" on my quilts. Transferring my life long habit of doodling on paper to quilts, the boring straight line has taken its tole today. Starting very early this morning, I have been stitching in the ditch of the 84 x 84 string quilt to stablize the bias seams before I start doodling. In between the boredom, I pieced blocks for a new project.

This past October, I test drove every long arm at the Houston International Quilt Show. They were all fine, but nothing gave me the "buzz" until I sat down at the "George". I played and doodled very contently. The AQS representative was behind me giving me her first hand use of the machine. I listened, but continued doodling -- such fun. The young lady then asked me to fill in my name for a chance at a little prize. As I looked up, I realized that Pat Sloan was the AQS Rep! I felt like I had just met Julia Roberts! By the way, she is just as pretty!

With all this said, I will continue to pine for George. I am not ready to retire from my day job, however I have already started saving for the machine that will obviously make my doodling easier.

1 comment:

Lori in South Dakota said...

drat--you live too far away to come play! I don't doodle, sometimes stipple or fill. Guess I'm not real artistic! I love the D9P pattern. I saw one made of "old unloved fabrics" so maybe I should do that! If it still looks bad, cut it smaller!!